Teaching in South Korea

I wondered how to encapsulate what it means to teach English to foreign students (here in Korea). Of course everyone's experience is different. But yesterday I was a little under the weather at school and I got a letter from a student wishing me well, in which she shared, in her limited English, this experience from her perspective.


some students and I on Teachers Day

Before I share this letter, my background: I've got a BA Degree in English and Philosophy and TEFL (Teaching English in a Foreign Language) certificate. The degree qualifies me (by Asian standards) and studying for the certificate proved valuable but walking into a classroom for the first time was overwhelming and I've come leaps and bounds, my students enjoy my classes, I can see the results of my work and I've earned the respect of my Korean co-teachers. I teach at a girl's high school in the relatively small (by Korean standards) city of Pyeongtaek about an hour outside Seoul. There are hand full of us native teachers here but one can go a few days without seeing another foreigner.


Lucy, mo co-teacher, and I in front of the class

Finally, I believe that my greatest challenge, and my primary objective, in the classroom is simply to get the kids to talk. The curriculum focuses solely on their SAT exam, a multiple choice reading and listening (the receptive skills), we - the native teachers - are here to focus on writing and speaking (the productive skills) which sadly, the students are sorely lacking.

This letter humbles, enthuses and inspires me: (typed as it's written)

To Mr Darne

Hello! or Hi!
That's all I can say in front of you.
I'm poor at English, and I can never even speak well
but, I thought I'm obligated to tell you something somehow.
So, I decided to write this.
though You're my teacher, actually, I don't wanna tell that as your student.
I just wanna tell you my saying as Korean and Human.
I've seen many foreigners in Pyeongtaek, Seoul, and somewhere in Korea.
Foreigners in Seoul are greeted by many Korean People.
but, I think foreigners in Pyeongtaek or small town are not.
and, I think Korean people living in small town feel awkward when they see blue eyes.
(but the other hand, they even don't care when they see people from Southeast Asia.
I think it's wrong...anyway)
So, sometimes you may feel that you're isolated in this world.
but, you know, they just need time to adjust to something or someone different to them.
So, I hope you don't misconceive and I I hope you understand.
Please, keep it up!

Well, actually, I wanted to tell this to my ex-teacher
cos she sometimes seemed to be lonely, but I had no courage.
So, when she was gone, I regretted so much.
I just don't wanna repeat it.

P.S. I heard you were sick
I think it's so lonely to catch a disease in strange land.
I hope you're fine now!
______________________________________________

Isn't that excellent?


Some students at Sports Day (quite unlike the sports day I'm used to!)

No comments: